Yesterday at distribution, two farm members–at separate times–asked what to do with the weekly scallions they received in their CSA share.
I gave them some ideas, but their question got me thinking–how many other farm members are feeling the same way? Are scallions one of those veggies that sit in your fridge week after week, waiting to be eaten?
If so, you’re missing out! Scallions are a great way to add a little punch of mild oniony flavor to nearly any savory dish. Here are 5 ways I’ve used scallions in this past week alone:
- Chopped fine with cilantro, then used as a topping for tacos.
- Chopped fine, then sautéed with asparagus and used as a pizza topping along with bacon and arugula.
- Snipped with a scissors right into my feta & asparagus omelette.
- Chopped fine, then sprinkled atop a plate of General Tso’s chicken/brown rice/Crispo head lettuce.
- Eaten raw. Okay, this last one is not a way I prefer to eat scallions, but I’m letting our 10-year-old illustrate since he loves them this way.
What’s your favorite way to eat scallions? Let me know in the comments!