With our last week of this season’s CSA at hand and the holiday season just around the corner, I want to leave you with a simple recipe you could serve at your Thanksgiving dinner. Or you could just make this tonight because it’s cozy and nourishing and pretty much perfect for a brisk fall night.
Start by placing a rectangular rimmed baking stone in the oven and preheating to 400 F. If you don’t have a stone, use any rimmed baking sheet.
Next, scrub and trim 2 pounds of carrots (around 18 medium-sized carrots). Quarter the carrots lengthwise and put them in a large bowl. I use the Pampered Chef 8-cup batter bowl because it has a lid, which makes the next step easier. And that next step is tossing those lovely carrot pieces with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. (As tempting as it may be, don’t add extra oil olive or the carrots won’t roast well!)
Place the carrots evenly onto the baking stone and lightly season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, then flip them, making sure to keep them evenly spaced (none on top of each other). Roast for 10 more minutes.
While the carrots are roasting, prep the rest of your ingredients. Chop 1/4 cup walnuts, mince 2 cloves of garlic, and roughly chop 3 cups of arugula/tat soi/mustard greens. When the carrots are done with their initial roasting, sprinkle with the garlic and walnuts and roast for 5-7 minutes more, until the nuts are toasted and the garlic tender.
Remove the stone from the oven, fold in the greens, and sprinkle the whole batch of goodness with 1/4 cider vinegar. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds carrots, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 T olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups arugula, tat soi, and/or mustard greens, stems removed and roughly chopped
- Place rimmed baking stone in oven and preheat to 400 F.
- Quarter carrots lengthwise. Place carrots in large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Place carrots on baking sheet, making sure they're evenly spaced. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast carrots 20 minutes. Flip them over, then roast for 10 minutes more.
- Remove carrots from oven. Sprinkle evenly with garlic and walnuts. Roast 5-7 minutes, until nuts are toasted and garlic is tender.
- Remove from oven. Fold in greens, then sprinkle cider vinegar over the carrots.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!