Chicken Sausage, Kale, and Peaches on Corn Tortilla
This year’s biochar crop is Red Russian kale, a variety of the once-obscure, now-seen-everywhere garden green.
Even though some foodies argue that kale has reached its popularity peak, plenty of others see kale as a kitchen staple that is here to stay. (Despite the dismay of comedian Jim Gaffigan, and, yes, Dan and I did find this clip really funny even though we love our kale!)
Anyway. Here’s a quick kale recipe I often make for lunch for just myself. This can also easily be made for a group of family or friends.
Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. As it’s heating, slice a sausage in half–I used Gilbert’s Craft Cheddar Chicken Sausage. Once the skillet is hot, fry the sausage or 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned.
While the sausage is cooking, chop up 1 cup of kale and one small yellow peach (half a peach if it’s large). Once the sausage is done, remove it from the skillet and chop it into 1-inch pieces.
Add a little bit of olive oil to the skillet–you can skip this step if there’s enough fat from the sausage–and turn up the heat to medium-high. Once the fat is hot, throw in the chopped kale and peach and saute 1-2 minutes. Remove the peach and kale from the skillet.
You’re almost ready to eat! Keeping the heat at medium-high, place one corn tortilla in the skillet and fry it for 20 seconds or so on each side.
Using tongs, put the tortilla on a plate, then pile on the chopped sausage, kale, and peaches. Enjoy!
- 1 chicken sausage
- 1 cup kale
- 1 small yellow peach
- 1 corn tortilla
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. As it’s heating, slice a sausage in half. Once the skillet is hot, fry the sausage 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Chop kale and peach.
- Once the sausage is done, remove from the skillet. Chop sausage into 1-inch pieces.
- Add olive oil to the skillet if needed. Turn up heat to medium-high.
- Once the fat is hot, saute chopped kale and peach 1-2 minutes. Remove the peach and kale from the skillet.
- Keeping heat at medium-high, fry one corn tortilla for 20 seconds or so on each side.
- Place tortilla on a plate, then pile on the chopped sausage, kale, and peaches.
Leave a Comment