We call this Everyday Green Smoothie because there have been weeks in our life where we literally drank this EVERY DAY! This green smoothie template works perfectly for a refreshing snack, as a way to get your kids (and yourself) to eat more veggies, and also for those times when you’re starting to feel rundown or a cold coming on.
If you’ve never made a green smoothie before, here are four important considerations:
- Use a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or Nutribullet. You can use a standard blender, but the greens may not blend well, resulting in an unpalatable drink. Also, Victoria Boutenko, green smoothie master and author of Greens for Life, describes how greens, which are high in cellulose, are more easily assimilated into the body when broken-down in a high-speed blender.
- Rotate your greens for maximum nutritive benefits. Boutenko recommends rotating a variety of at least 7 greens. If this sounds overwhelming, start with spinach and slowly try rotating a new green every few weeks.
- Start by using more fruit than greens. The recipe below calls for a 50-50 greens/fruit ratio. If you’re new to green smoothies, start with a 25/75 greens/fruit ratio and slowly move closer to the 50/50 point.
- Include banana or avocado to create a more smooth, palatable texture.
Everyday Green Smoothie Template
- 2 cups cold water
- 3 cups greens
- 1 large banana or 1/2 avocado
- 2 cups fresh or frozen fruit
- Place all ingredients into Vitamix this order: water, greens, banana/avocado, fruit. Secure lid. (If not using a Vitamix, follow directions for your specific blender.)
- Start the blender, and slowly increase to highest speed.
- Blend for 45-60 seconds. Use tamper to push ingredients down into blade as needed.
That’s it! Want something more specific? Read on for our Everyday Green Smoothie recipe.
A version of this recipe originally appeared in my 2014 post 7 Way to Eat Leafy Greens.
Photo and Food Styling: Anne Kingma Photography
Everyday Green Smoothie
- Vitamix or high speed blender
- 2 cups cold water
- 3 cups spinach packed
- 1 banana large
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- Place all ingredients into Vitamix in this order: water, spinach, banana, strawberries. Secure lid. (If not using a Vitamix, follow directions for your specific blender.)
- Start the blender, and slowly increase to highest speed. Blend for 45-60 seconds. Use tamper to push ingredients down into blade as needed.