I tried something new for our Friday night pizza tradition last night: grilled patty pan pizzas.
After Dan presented me with these strange little orbs as an item in next week’s CSA share, I knew I had to do some research. If I’d never seen one of these before, wouldn’t the same be true for most of our farm members?
I found lots of fun recipes–some delicious-looking stuffed patty pan squash meals await me–but I needed something quick and easy. I found this recipe from Simple Seasonal and decided to give it a try, using whatever toppings I had on hand.
Dan had already sautéed some shiitake mushrooms with garlic scapes, so I set those aside for toppings, then put Harper to work grating Parmesan.
I heated up the grill, then returned to the kitchen to cut my patty pan squash into 1/2″ slices and lightly salt them. Apparently I forgot to purchase shredded mozzarella on my last grocery run, but thankfully I had a ball of fresh mozzarella, which I promptly cut into small chunks.
I grabbed a jar of marinara sauce, some olive oil, all my fresh ingredients, and returned to the grill for some quick cooking.
After lightly oiling the patty pan squash on both sides, I made sure to place the larger side down first onto the grill since I wanted the biggest surface area for my pizza toppings.
I grilled the squash slices 4-5 minutes, until grill marks appeared, then flipped the squash and started on toppings in this order:
- fresh mozzarella
- shiitakes and garlic scapes
- freshly grated Parmesan
- chopped fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, parsley and/or rosemary) ( I totally forgot to add these but won’t forget next time!)
- a sprinkling of finishing salt
I closed the grilled and let them cook for 4-5 minutes longer, until the cheese was melted and just beginning to brown, removing the smaller pizzas first.
Of course we wanted to eat them right away, but we waited the recommended 5 minutes or so for the ingredients to set. They were well worth the wait–still perfectly warm, with the patty pan squash tender yet firm. We’ll be adding these little beauties to our Friday night pizza repertoire!
Scroll down for the printable recipe card.
- 3 medium-sized patty pan squash (1.5-2 pounds)
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 4 garlic scapes, chopped and sautéed
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz freshly grated Parmesan
- olive oil
- finishing salt
- fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, and/or rosemary), chopped
- Preheat grill to 450-500 degrees.
- Slice patty pan squash into 1/2" rounds. Lightly salt.
- Once grilled is heated, lightly oil both sides of patty pan squash slices. Place larger sides down first on grill. Close grill and let cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip squash slices. Place sauce, cheese, mushrooms, scapes, Parmesan, herbs, and a sprinkle of finishing salt on top.
- Close grill and let cook for 4-5 minutes, until cheese is melted and just beginning to brown.
- Remove pizzas from grill, smaller pizzas first.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.