We love fresh herbs because they add flair and flavor to ordinary dishes, including egg salad! Our Herbed Egg Salad Lettuce Boats feature chives, parsley, and tarragon. With our wide selection of Pick-Your-Own herbs at our farm, you could try this same combination–or make up your own! Our PYO our herbs are included in our CSA membership, so all our CSA members can pick herbs any time during the week at no extra cost. If you’re not a CSA member, you can still pick herbs with our $5 PYO herb flat fee. This means the herbs you’re getting are truly as fresh as can be, and you can pick just what you need for the week.
Our egg salad also includes the leaves of garlic mustard we foraged from our woods. Don’t have garlic mustard or don’t feel confident foraging? No problem, just replace it with a teaspoon of garlic mustard and a clove of minced garlic.
Herbed Egg Salad Lettuce Boats
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- 6 eggs preferably from pasture-raised chickens
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3/4 tbsp fresh tarragon or fennel finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped | if flowering, reserve flowers
- 1/2 tbsp garlic mustard leaves* finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt add more to taste
- 1/4 tsp white wine vinegar add more to taste
- 2 turns freshly ground pepper
- 1 mini head lettuce leaves separated and dried
- sprinkling paprika
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Gently add eggs and boil covered for 12 minutes. Eggs need not be covered by water.
- Immediately plunge eggs into very cold water and tap each one until a small crack forms. This will allow the cold water to get inside the shell and make for easy peeling.**
- When cool, peel eggs and smash with fork in a large bowl. Add mayo, parsley, tarragon, chives, garlic mustard, salt, white wine vinegar, and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of egg salad into each lettuce leaf. Sprinkle with paprika and chive blossom leaves. Serve!