The Perkins’ family considers Sausage, Potato, and Greens Soup a long-time dinner favorite. Dan and I first discovered a version of this recipe in Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce. The Fair Share CSA Coalition created this cookbook, which is organized alphabetically by vegetable and super handy! We have a copy in our farm stand you can peruse next time you stop in.
Our version of Sausage, Potato, and Greens Soup includes changes we made after having children. We switched out spicy Italian sausage for a milder (but still so tasty) breakfast sausage from our local butcher. We also decreased the amount of liquid by about half to make the soup easier for little mouths and hands to eat.
Pair with crunchy croutons, sourdough bread, or cornbread, and you have yourself a delicious and complete meal!
Sausage, Potato, and Greens Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups potatoes chopped into 1" bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups greens (kale, spinach, chard, or whatever is on hand)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in soup pot. Add onions, 1 tsp salt and sauté until translucent 7-10 min. Add sausage and cook until no pink remains.
- Add stock, water, and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are nearly done.
- Toss in greens and cook 1-2 min until wilted. Turn off heat and add cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!