This week our Spring CSA members receive their first round of beets, and what a bounty of beets it is! At distribution on Monday, plenty of folks had plans for this delicious root crop, but the most common question I received was this:
What am I supposed to do with these beets?
So we’re starting off simple, with my family’s favorite way to eat them: steamed al dente and topped with a sprinkling of finishing salt. The perfect veggie side dish.
- 8 small-medium sized beets (greens trimmed), sliced into 1/4" coins
- finishing salt
- Steam until al dente, approximately 8-9 minutes on the stove. Time will vary according to size of coins, with smaller coins needing less time and larger more.
- Test firmness of beets with a fork halfway through steaming process, then more frequently toward the end of cooking time.
- Remove from steamer and let cool for about 2 minutes.
- Top with a sprinkling of finishing salt.