For our Summer Soup, we wanted a soup that was light yet filling, and, of course, full of flavor! We also wanted a soup that featured local, grass-fed beef, the same beef we carry in our farm stand.
So we start with the meatballs, which are bite-size and simple: grass-fed ground beef, our black garlic, pasture-raised egg, minced garlic scapes (or garlic), and kosher salt. We sear the meatballs in olive oil at the beginning and set them aside. Then we sauté the base of onions, carrots, garlic, and celeriac (replace with celery if you don’t have celeriac!) in the fat/oil from the meatballs. After sauteéing about 10 minutes, and once the onions are transulcent and delicious-smelling, we add tomato paste, stir, and cook for a couple more minutes.
Next we add equal parts of our homemade beef and/or chicken stock and water, along with an herb bouquet of fresh thyme and tarragon, all of which lends both nutrients and richness of flavor to this summer soup. Once the stock is simmering, add chopped potatoes and the meatballs. Check the soup after about 10 minutes–you want the potatoes just tender and the meatballs just cooked-through.
When serving, top with chopped scallions or chives and croutons. Enjoy!
Summer Soup with Mini Meatballs and Tender Veggies
- soup pot
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- 1 pound ground beef preferably grass-fed beef
- 1 egg
- 2-3 garlic scapes minced
- 2 cloves black garlic smashed into a paste with 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 medium carrots sliced into coins
- 1/2 celeriac (or 2 stalks celery) peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups beef or chicken stock we use a 1/1 ratio
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb potatoes chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 2-3 oz bunch scallions thinly sliced
- Mix together ground beef, 1 tsp salt, garlic scapes, egg, and black garlic. Form into 1/2" meatballs (if you are short on time, form into 1" meatballs).
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Sear meatballs in two or three batches. Set aside.
- In fat from meatballs, add onions, celeriac, carrots, garlic and a tsp salt. Reduce heat to medium and saute until a fond begins to form on the bottom of the pan and onions are translucent , anywhere 7-12 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Add 4 cups beef and/or chicken stock and 4 cups water, scraping the bottom of the pot to deglaze. Tie tarragon and thyme together with butchers twine and add to soup. Bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and seared meatballs. Simmer 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are just tender and meatballs are cooked through. Remove herb bouquet and discard. Top the soup with croutons and scallions. Enjoy!